Thursday, February 3, 2022

More on initial one-on-one conversations

 Wrapping up the one-on-one discussions with students and just want to record the questions I end up asking them:


(a) Tell me a bit about why you decided to go to college and then, given those reasons, why you decided to come to Drake.

I started asking why they chose to go to college because I teach a course on higher ed and I'm curious about students reasons.  I fully expected all the students to say that it was just expected of them and that they didn't really think it through that much.  I was surprised that for a fair number of them not going to college was a live option and so they really did decide to go to college.  So, expectation #1 upturned.

(b) Aside from a degree and being employable, what are you hoping to get out of your college experience? 

Now, I mixed this one up a bit.  For some students I asked about "college experience" and for others "college education" and for some just "college" -- predictably I got different responses.  For the most part, if I didn't specify they interpreted 'college' as 'college experience' and the responses were focused on relationships, maturing, 'practice being an adult,' etc.  The response to 'college education' was more along the lines of be more well-rounded, educated, etc.  So those responses were, to my mind, evidence that students really hadn't thought about that very much which, honestly, isn't surprising.

(c) As you think about the class you're taking with me this semester what, besides a good grade and fulfilling a requirement, how do you see this class fitting in with your larger goals for a college education?

Because this was close to a question they were asked in the document I gave them to fill out ahead of time, their responses were prepared (as opposed to their responses to (a) & (b) where they frequently hadn't thought about it), most of them said that they wanted to learn more about what other people think.  So it wasn't about what I would call "learning" but instead about simply becoming more familiar with the wide variety of views.  So, a clear awareness that other folks have other views and an interest in understanding why they have those views.  Little articulated awareness that learning what other people think might change their minds, but that makes sense.

(d) Are there particular skills or dispositions that you'd like to continue to work on developing in this course this semester?

This again was something the form they filled out prepared them for and so many students said one or more of the following: writing, discussion, being open minded while listening to others.

(e) So, when I ask you, midsemester, if you are making good progress toward the goals you've articulated, what will you look to to determine if you are making progress?

This was a really good question as evidenced by the common response of "hmm, that's a good question."  One of the points of these discussions is to get students thinking about their own learning and so having them take a moment to step back and really think about how they will know if they're making progress was, I think, a good exercise.  For the most part they were able to articulate what concrete evidence would count as progress so that's a win.

(f) For most students I end up finding out, as this conversation progresses, what their major is and so the next question is: What is it about [major], beyond you're being good at it, that draws you to it?

(g) What are you interested in outside of school?

This is just a way for me to get to know them a bit more and be able to see them as more than just student in class -- I always know that they're more than just a student in class, but I rarely get glimpses of who that person is outside of class.  It's just good for me to know the whole student.

(h) Is there anything else you think it'd be helpful for me to know to work on making this course a positive learning experience for you this semester?

Many students say that there's nothing more but some students share that they have ADHD, anxiety issues, fidget/doodle a great deal, have speech impediments, etc..

I close out the conversation then by thanking them for their time and telling them that I look forward to getting to know them as the semester progresses.

Overall, the students appear to be really grateful for these conversations (many have said as much).  So, if nothing else, this is setting their view of me as someone who cares about them and their learning in the class.  This is another of my goals with these conversations -- that they have a really clear (and accurate) picture of my goals and hopes as their teacher.  My hope is that simply setting this anchor helps if/when things go less smoothly than ideal.

And, despite the fact that these 75 or so conversations have taken a fair chunk of time, I have genuinely enjoyed all of them.  The connection with the students feels good and is part of the reason I enjoy working with them.

No comments: