Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Assigning the listening/viewing of on-line lectures

I'm teaching an on-line course this summer.  I volunteered to do it with the idea that this will get me thinking about teaching in a way that I haven't.  I figure, also, that if I can figure out how to teach well on-line, then this ought to make me a better teacher in a face-to-face setting.

And, in fact, it is making me think more about my teaching.  I'm really having to focus in on what I want to accomplish in the course and how I'm going to do it.  Hopefully, much of what I end up doing for this on-line course will be useable for my traditional face-to-face course.

At this very moment I'm wondering about the wisdom of pointing students to on-line lectures on the theorists will be discussing.  I've also thought about doing this for classes that aren't on-line.

How is this different (is this different) from assigning reading?  I mean, obviously, it's different but is it different bad or different potentially helpful?

No comments: