Monday, June 20, 2011

Well, here it is more than midway through June. Summer is flying by.

I have many thoughts about many things (surprised?) but will limit myself to just one (possibly more will sneak their way in).

I watched the Tonys last week and I'm reading Tina Fey's Bossypants and decided that I want to be friends with Neil Patrick Harris and Tina Fey (and Gwyneth Paltrow, Jane Lynch and, I'm sure, many more). I've also returned from a conference where I met some interesting people and I continue to want to be friends with Parker Palmer & Diana Chapman Walsh (and Sharon Daloz-Parks, Arthur Chickering, and bunch of folks I can't think of).

Reasonably, you may be wondering why I share this information. Because as I was cataloging the list of people I want to be friends with I realized that (a) most people I meet also want to be friends with these folks and (b) these folks probably aren't all that different from other people except that they are well-known. This led me to: conservatively, I'd guess that 25% of the people I meet are, probably, fairly fabulous people (more generously, 75%) but that I don't get to know them the way that fame and books let me believe I get to know these other folks.

I'm thinking there's probably a conclusion to reach from this.

No comments: