Monday, December 8, 2008

Computer Woes

So, my home computer is, well, inoperable.  The very nice man at the Apple store said that it is what they call "vintage" or, less glamorously, "obsolete."  So, now I must decide what to do.  I have, as far as I can tell, 3 live options (see James "Will to Believe" for reference on "live options").  I can (a) buy a new computer.  I'd get the new MacBook and then probably a Dell screen to expand my viewing options; (b) I can get a new hard drive installed in the old computer or (c) I can do without a home computer, lug my work computer back and forth.

So, let's go backward.

(c).  I suspect that since it's my work computer, I'm only supposed to do work on it.  Thus, I would be breaking some sort of rule if I were to, say, put my new copy of Spore on my work computer.  Also, lugging a computer back and forth probably increases the likelihood of said computer getting broken.

(b) Given the "obsolete" nature of the computer, it is both warranty-less and at the point where other things (I don't know what) may start to break.  This wouldn't be so much of a problem except that being obsolete they may no longer have the parts to replace whatever breaks next (which could be in moments or years)

(a) Well, I've learned all about the environmental and health hazards that accompany the production and disposal of anything mildly computer oriented and, thus, there are some good ethical reasons (like not wanting to contribute to said hazards) for not getting a new computer.

So, I'm thinking that I'll be going with the new disk drive, but if someone wanted to give me a new MacBook it'd be rude of me not to accept.

No comments: